Gloucester and District
Model Boat Club
The sailing venues detailed on this site have been negotiated specifically between the Gloucester and District Model Boat Club and the respective land owners of the sites to allow Members of the GDMBC to sail model boats. All members of the GDMBC carry a minimum of £2M of public liability insurance which is, from time to time, increased to £5M if required by the land owner. Members of the general public are not usually allowed to sail on these waters unless they too have obtained the necessary consents and carry the appropriate level of public liability insurance. Visitors to official Club meetings will always be welcome to use these waters with the permission of Club officials but they must independently carry the appropriate level of insurance cover.
Over Basin, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal
Land Ranger Map No. 162: Grid Reference 816 198: Post Code GL2 8BZ
- Leave Gloucester over Westgate Bridge to Newent and Ross-on-Wye.
- Do not take left hand slip lane to Ross-on-Wye but instead continue to roundabout with A40 and Take first exit signed A40 to Ross-on-Wye and Newent.
- Move immediately into right-hand filter lane and turn right at traffic lights across dual carriageway into Horseshoe Drive
- The canal basin is immediately visible in front as you pass The Wharf House Visitor Centre & Restaurant on the right.
- Turn right and cross the bridge over the lock (under restoration) from the basin into the Severn.
- There is an area for parking close to the water after about 75yds.
There is a launching slipway adjacent to the car parking area.
Boats may also be launched from the bank of the basin but this requires a cradle or launching slings as it can be quite a stretch down to the water. Note: Hovercraft are to be used in MODERATION at this location due to noise and the close proximity of our neighbours. View map
Over Basin – another view – John Taylor’s clever panorama, aren’t modern cameras wonderful!
Aerial view of Over Canal Basin and start of 34 mile canal to Hereford
Gloucester – Gloucester Docks, Victoria Basin Arm
Land Ranger Map No 162: Grid Reference 828 184: Post Code GL1 2EG
Please note that with the new construction work taking place at the Docks that these directions will change at short notice and parts may no longer be accessible by car. There are brown tourist signs to “Gloucester’s Historic Docks” from the M5 and other parts of the city.
a) Approaching from the City centre:
- Leave City centre by Southgate Street travelling south towards Bristol.
- At large new Bank of England building on LHS turn right into the main car park signed to Gloucester Docks.
b) Approaching from Bristol
- Take A430 into Gloucester past Peel Centre (Cinema, Burger King etc) on LHS.
- Cross the traffic lights (signed left to Hempsted via Llanthony Road and lifting bridge).
- Turn next left into the main car park signed to Gloucester Docks.
After (a) or (b) then
- Turn right into the road which runs alongside the car parking area by the Victoria Basin where a selection of 20 or so full-sized craft are moored up. Park in the Pay and Display car park.
Sailing is by the swing bridge on the South bank of the arm off the main dock into the Victoria basin. There is a dropped section of quayside where the swing-bridge pivots, this has steps down to it and it gives easy access to the water.
Parking is free at certain times on production of evidence of your club membership but this needs to be checked with Club officials as it changes from time-to-time.
Saul Junction – Junction of Gloucester-Sharpness and Stroud Canals
Land Ranger Map No. 162: Grid Reference 757 090: Post Code GL2 7LA
- Leave Gloucester on A38 South to Bristol.
- After 4 miles from Hardwicke roundabout, pass public house on left.
- Turn right at signpost to Whitminster and follow road, pass church on right and cross small bridge over Stroud canal.
- Turn first right and cross main canal bridge.
- Turn right again and continue to end of track to Wycliffe Boat Club.
Sail boats from the canal bank on the platform adjacent to the swing bridge over the main canal..
Clubs Private Waters
We have the use of a local private lake that is for the exclusive use of Club members on dates previously agreed in advance with the landowner. Directions to this venue will only be supplied to G&DMBC Club members.
Mallards Pike – Forest of Dean
Gazebo at Mallards Pike showing our new flag!
Note – this venue is normally only used on one or two specifically pre-arranged days each year for a Club picnic.Land Ranger Map No. 162: Grid Reference: SO 637093: Post Code GL15 4HD
- Take the A48 along the west side of the Severn.
- Travelling South on the A48 through Blakeney turn right onto the Nibley and Parkend road.
- After about five miles there are signs to Mallards Pike lake and picnic area on the RHS of the road.
There is ample pay-and-display parking and the Club are allowed access up to the water for unloading models but cars must be returned to the car park. It is important to display evidence of GDMBC membership in your car window.
Gloucester – The Walls Club, Hammond Way
Barnwood GL4 3HG For our Winter Social MeetingsNote – This is not a sailing venue but it is the location of our winter club evenings and Christmas socials etc.
a) Approaching from the city centre:
- Take the Barnwood Road south east to the ring road roundabout
- Straight across
- Hammond Way is the first “proper” road on the left
- Go through the Industrial Estate and it is at the end, good parking
There is often a man at the door but we usually have a pre-booked room and there is no further entrance fee to pay.